In 2020, Sonoma State University is pleased to announce a Call for Proposals for the November 6, 2020 Virtual Association for Interdisciplinary Studies Mini-Conference: Interdisciplinary Responses to the Pandemic: An International Forum. In light of the rapidly changing landscape of higher education, it is now more important than ever for interdisciplinarity, transdisciplinarity, integrative thinking, and design thinking to provide the tools for university leadership.
Every year, university communities find themselves facing unexpected crises resulting from local to global acts of nature, including wildfires, flooding, and pandemics. What is the role of universities and interdisciplinarity in leading during these challenges? Topics for this this theme could include:
- How can interdisciplinarity help us in the zombie apocalypse solutions room (or the COVID-19 solutions room)?
- How do we leverage interdisciplinarity in managing emergency operations and supporting continuity of learning?
- How do we support equitable digital access and inclusive online learning environments, particularly when transition to a virtual classroom might be swift?
- How do we best communicate, across disciplines and across university units, to adequately manage safety, self-care, and learning during times of crisis?
- How do we incorporate these real-time wicked problems into the (virtual) classroom to facilitate learning in a way that engages the next generation so that history doesn’t repeat itself?
- How can universities provide leadership and form strategic partnerships with local organizations, to bridge the crisis moving from theory to practice to support community rebuilding?
The conference will be hosted by Sonoma State University, but will take place internationally through a virtual platform.
Deadline and Submission
All submissions must be made electronically using the proposal submission form below. The following are required for all submissions: contact information for presenters and co-presenters, a proposal title (20 words or less), a short description of no more than 50 words for the program, an abstract of no more than 200 words, the type of presentation (e.g., roundtable or panel discussion, workshop, poster presentation, creative presentation, or other). Please suggest a recommended timeframe for your proposal (e.g., 10 minutes, 20 minutes, or 60 minutes) noting that we may modify the time frame based on the number and type of proposals received.
We welcome all types of presentations, but this conference is about integration, design, collaboration, connection, and creative problem-solving, so make sure your conference presentation builds in those elements for your audience. Deadline for proposal submission is July 15, 2020. You will receive an email acknowledgement of your proposal submission. Proposers will be notified whether their proposal has been accepted by August 1, 2020. For further information, contact AIS2020@sonoma.edu.